Accounts Payable Lead
Company: UL Standards & Engagement
Posted on: November 20, 2023
At UL, we know why we come to work.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Accounts Payable Lead at UL
Research Institutes and UL Standards & Engagement based in our
Evanston, IL office.
The Accounts Payable Lead leads and oversees the accounts payable
function within the finance department. The Accounts Payable Lead
is part of the financial team, ensuring accurate and timely
processing of invoices, payments, and maintaining vendor
relationships. The Accounts Payable Lead works closely with the
finance leadership team to streamline processes, implement best
practices, and provide guidance to junior accounts payable
What you'll learn & achieve:
As the Accounts Payable Lead you will play a key role in the rapid
growth of UL -as you:
- Lead and oversee the accounts payable function process and
monitor accounts payable transactions; review and verify invoices,
expense reports, and payment requests. Ensure adherence to company
policies and accounting principles.
- Collaborate with suppliers and procurement team to resolve
supplier invoice, purchase order, receipt, and pricing match
- Prepare and process payments (checks, ACH transfers, wire
transfers) to suppliers, employees, and other stakeholders in a
timely manner. Ensure compliance with payment terms and manage cash
- Liaise with suppliers to resolve billing or payment inquiries.
Negotiate favorable terms and conditions with vendors and monitor
vendor performance and address any concerns or issues.
- Collaborate with procurement and other teams to optimize vendor
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with vendors.
Address inquiries, resolve payment issues, and negotiate payment
terms when necessary.
- Review and reconcile employee expense reports, ensuring
compliance with company policies and expense guidelines.
- Reconcile accounts payable sub-ledger with general ledger
accounts. Identify and resolve discrepancies and maintain accurate
- Month-end Closing: Assist in the month-end closing process by
preparing relevant reports, accruals, and journal entries related
to accounts payable.
- Evaluate the accounts payable process and identify
opportunities for streamlining and automation. Propose and
implement process improvements to increase efficiency and
- Ensure compliance with financial policies, procedures, and
internal controls related to accounts payable. Support internal and
external audits as required.
- Prepare accounts payable reports and metrics for management
review. Conduct data analysis to identify trends, anomalies, and
areas for improvement.
- Provide training and guidance to junior accounts payable staff.
Assist in their professional development and act as a resource for
problem-solving and technical issues.
- Assist in the setup and maintenance of vendor records in the
accounting system, ensuring accurate and up-to-date
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What makes you a great fit:
While no one candidate will embody every quality, the successful
candidate will bring many of the following professional
competencies and personal attributes:
- Experience with accounting software and ERP systems, such as
Workday, SAP, Oracle, QuickBooks, etc.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles, financial reporting,
and internal controls.
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational skills, and
ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and other Office
- Advanced skills in Excel with knowledge of how to use VLOOKUP,
SUMIF and pivot tables.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for dealing
with vendors, colleagues, and team members.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a
- Knowledge of tax regulations related to accounts payable (sales
tax, 1099 reporting, etc.) is a plus.
Experience and Education Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a related field;
or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Relevant certifications (e.g., Certified Accounts Payable
Professional - CAPP) are a plus.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in accounts payable roles,
demonstrating a solid understanding of accounts payable principles
- Experience with Workday is preferred.
What you'll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn't new.
Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has
been our business model for the last 128 years and is deeply
ingrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any -UL -employee what they love most about working
here, and you'll almost always hear, "the people." Going beyond
what is possible is the standard at -UL. We're able to deliver the
best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we
eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers' create.
We're inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how
people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles,
you will get international experience working with colleagues
around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted
development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very
own UL University that offers extensive training programs for
employees at all stages, including a technical training track for
- Total Rewards: All employees at -UL Research Institutes and UL
Standards & Engagementare eligible for bonus compensation. -We
offer comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
plans. a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible
pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement
saving fund after your first year of continuous employment.
Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible
working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off
including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.
About UL Research Institutes and UL Standards & Engagement
UL Research Institutes and UL Standards & Engagement -are nonprofit
organizations dedicated to advancing safety science research
through the discovery and application of scientific knowledge. We
conduct rigorous independent research and analyze safety data,
convene experts worldwide to address risks, share knowledge through
safety education and public outreach initiatives, and develop
standards to guide safe commercialization of evolving technologies.
We foster communities of safety, from grassroots initiatives for
neighborhoods to summits of world leaders. Our organization employs
collaborative and scientific approaches with partners and
stakeholders to drive innovation and progress toward improving
safety, security, and sustainability, ultimately enhancing societal
Our wholly owned subsidiary, UL Solutions, advances our shared
public safety mission. We fund our work through grants, the
licensing of standards documents and the business activities of UL
Solutions, which conducts testing, verification and certification,
and provides training and advisory services, along with data-driven
reporting and decision-making tools for customers around the
To learn more, visit -https://ulse.org
Keywords: UL Standards & Engagement, Evanston , Accounts Payable Lead, Accounting, Auditing , Evanston, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!