Director of Building Operations
Company: Solera Senior Living
Posted on: April 9, 2021
Director of Building Operations in Evanston, Illinois - Careers
at Trulee Evanston Skip Branding
- Contact C a r e e r s Copyright -- 2020 Solera Senior Living.
All Rights Reserved. Website By Back to Top Director of Building
Operations in Evanston, Illinois - Careers at Trulee Evanston Skip
to Main Content Please Enable Cookies to Continue Please enable
cookies in your browser to experience all the personalized features
of this site, including the ability to apply for a job. Welcome
page Returning Candidate? Log back in! Director of Building
Operations Job Locations US-IL-Evanston Category Engineering Type
Full Time About Solera Love to make a difference in the lives of
seniors? --At Solera Senior Living we are led by our Core Values
which guide our decision-making at every level of our company. We
are looking for compassionate individuals who want to join our
team! Solera's Core Values: Compassion Commitment Communication
Creativity We are constantly asking ourselves to think outside of
the box, utilize technology to improve lives, honor our
relationships with one another, and make a meaningful difference in
our community. Our leadership team is made up of passionate people
who have a true connection to seniors and their families, and who
are dedicated to helping others' grow and thrive. Listen---we flat
out LOVE what we do--and if our story resonates with you, and you
want to LOVE what you do every day ---we want to meet you! Overview
& Responsibilities The Director of Building Operations is
responsible for planning, organizing, developing and directing the
general operating maintenance, repair, and housekeeping of the
community and its physical plant to maintain proper operations of
the community. Oversee the general operations of the maintenance
department and housekeeping department to ensure that the property
is maintained in a safe, clean and comfortable manner. Hire,
evaluate, coordinate, motivate, monitor performance, schedule and
supervise department team members in accordance with company
policy. Make recommendations to the Executive Director with respect
to team member evaluations, merit pay increases, reprimands,
disciplinary actions, and terminations. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES
AND RESPONSIBILITIES The essential duties and responsibilities
described below are representative of those a team member
encounters while performing the basic functions of the position.
While every effort has been made to identify the essential
functions of the position, it in no way states or implies that
these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The
omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them
from the position if the work is similar, related or is an
essential function of the position. Reasonable accommodation may be
made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions of the position.
- Hire, evaluate, coordinate, motivate, monitor performance,
schedule, and supervise department team members in accordance with
company policy and state law. Make recommendations to the Executive
Director with respect to team member evaluations, merit pay
increases, reprimands, disciplinary actions and termination.
- Coordinate maintenance and housekeeping services and activities
with other departments.
- Clean entire common area of the property to assure that the
building and grounds are always clean, including floors, to include
sweeping, dusting, damp/wet mopping, stripping, waxing, buffing,
disinfecting, etc. (NOTE: Ensure that the appropriate
caution/safety signs are properly set up prior to performing such
duties); carpets, to include vacuuming, shampooing, deodorizing,
and disinfecting; walls and ceilings by washing, wiping, dusting,
spot cleaning, disinfecting, deodorizing, etc.; remove dirt, dust,
grease, film, etc., from surfaces using proper cleaning and
disinfecting solutions; hallways, stairways and elevators.
- Capable of finishing work completely on a timely basis,
including priority jobs that must be completed within assigned time
- Flexibility to remain on-call 24 hours per day, including
evenings and weekends to respond to emergencies if needed.
- Work within legal scope of local and state codes.
- ELECTRICAL DUTIES: Must be knowledgeable and capable of
self-teaching involving troubleshooting, identifying problem and
obtaining materials to fully repair all electrical difficulties to
include but not limited to: wall switches, interior/exterior
lighting, cover plates, receptacles, loose wiring, resident call
systems, control devices, laundry and kitchen equipment.
- STRUCTURAL DUTIES: Must be knowledgeable and capable of
self-teaching regarding planning, ordering and installing cabinets
for remodeling of apartments. Performing all carpentry duties such
as repairing or replacing sheet rock, plywood and/or structural
materials. Repairing resident furniture.
- PAINTING DUTIES: Must be knowledgeable and capable of
self-teaching to include but not limited to planning, ordering, and
performing all painting requirements (interior/exterior) of the
entire complex. Work to be completed in a timely and professional
manner. Properly dispose of materials (paint thinner, lacquer,
etc.) ensuring compliance with local state and federal EPA
- PLUMBING DUTIES: Must be knowledgeable and capable of
self-teaching regarding planning, ordering and performing minor
plumbing problems to include but not limited to repairing faucets,
showers, drains, and any other type of plumbing related
- GROUNDS DUTIES: Must be knowledgeable and capable of
self-teaching regarding planning, ordering and performing grounds
related tasks to include but not limited to: cutting, edging and
fertilizing all lawn areas; pruning and fertilizing trees.
Maintaining pool and spa to include but not limited to taking and
recording daily readings insuring compliance with all local, state
and federal requirements. Determine/add proper amounts of chemicals
required. Performing minor repairs to either pool, spa or equipment
to ensure it is fully operational.
- HVAC DUTIES: Must be knowledgeable and capable of self-teaching
regarding troubleshooting, identifying problem and obtaining
materials to fully repair minor HVAC difficulties to include but
not limited to: T-stats, heating elements, resistors, fuses,
circuit breakers, low on freon, filters, etc.
- Participate in property surveys (inspections) made by
authorized government agencies. Maintain positive communications
with local fire marshal, building inspector, state elevator
inspector, and any other jurisdiction governing the property.
- Conduct daily inspection of property's outside grounds.
Immediately correct any needed items to assure property is always
- Supervise safety and fire protection and prevention programs by
inspecting work areas and equipment regularly.
- Schedule and oversee quarterly fire drills and semi-annual
disaster drills. Act as safety coordinator and attends meeting of
quality Assurance/Safety/Infection Control Committees.
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures to identify
appropriate safety precautions and equipment to use when performing
tasks that could result in bodily injury.
- Perform all of the duties of the property's Hazard
Communication Program including oversight that all personnel wear
and/or use safety equipment and supplies (e.g., back brace,
mechanical lifts, etc.) when lifting or moving heavy objects.
- Ensure that containers of hazardous chemicals in the department
are properly labeled and stored.
- Ensure that all necessary MSDS sheets are obtained, maintained
and stored in areas accessible to all team members.
- Responsible for implementation of all OSHA polices.
- Assist in establishing an effective preventive maintenance
program of cleaning, painting, maintaining equipment, etc., as
necessary and approved. Maintain
- Monitor and maintain high levels of cleanliness in apartments,
storage areas, laundry, restrooms and public areas.
- Check the maintenance request log daily. Coordinate maintenance
requests by residents for items needing repair in their apartments,
including repairing plumbing, electrical, heating and replacing
light bulbs. Repairs should be made promptly.
- Maintain scheduled maintenance on: H.V.A.C., elevator,
fire-equipment, sprinkler equipment, generator, landscape, kitchen
equipment, and emergency pull-cord equipment. Replaces filters in
air conditioning units on a regular basis, tests the emergency
lighting equipment, fire sprinkler device, smoke detectors and
other equipment as required, and participate in emergency drills.
Maintain the preventative maintenance binder reflecting completed
- Maintain a current list of emergency vendors and their
telephone numbers so other community personnel can affect repairs
when the supervisor is not on-site.
- Keeps maintenance room always clean. Responsible for tool
organization and organization of assigned storage areas.
- Coordinates repair of walls, floor coverings, doors and wood
work in the common areas of the property; assess all plumbing and
electrical problems within the property and determines the best
course of action to take to correct the problem. Work within legal
scope of local and state codes.
- Repair resident's furniture as needed.
- Work with Director of Engagement to ensure van is maintained
properly and kept in good working condition. Drive the community's
van as directed.
- Coordinates with outside contractors in securing bids and
scheduling needed work on special projects. Tracks all maintenance
procedures and expenditures.
- Prepare an annual budget request for needed supplies,
equipment, and personnel requirements. Ensure monthly purchases and
staffing patterns are in accordance with approved budget.
- Demonstrate mechanical ability and/or capability of
self-teaching to work on equipment such as washer/extractors and
dryers; refrigeration and heating units; ice machines; minor
plumbing; minor electrical difficulties such as replacement of wall
switches, receptacles, loose wiring and resident call devices;
carpentry and painting.
- Participate in daily "Stand-Up" meetings to communicate key
issues within the department.
- Understand and ensure compliance with all Federal (Title 22)
and state regulations concerning the department.
- Aid in community marketing effort through demonstrated
proficiency and willingness to conduct community tours,
participation in all required marketing events and through
positive/friendly interaction with all potential residents, family
members and referral sources.
- Arrange for coverage of job duties within the department during
team member absences either through delegation or personal
completion of duties.
- Display tact and friendliness when dealing with residents,
families and visitors.
- Maintain a safe and secure environment for all team members,
residents and guests, following established safety standards.
- Encourage teamwork through cooperative interactions with
co-workers and other departments.
- Support a positive and professional image through actions and
- Performs other duties consistent with the position as assigned
by the Executive Director. Education: Must have a high school
diploma or equivalent. Experience: Preferably two (2) years
supervisory experience in building industry, maintenance and/or
housekeeping handling the upkeep, repair and maintenance of
electrical, plumbing and structural matters. Possess knowledge of
building construction types. Mathematical
Skills: Ability to perform simple mathematical problems. Reasoning
Skills: Ability to understand and follow directions. Ability to
analyze and solve building maintenance problems. Oral/Written
Communication Skills Ability to explain work duties to team
members. Ability to effectively interact with residents, families,
team members, visitors, co-workers and government agencies.
Equipment Used: Ability to safely operate a wide variety of
equipment and tools throughout the community. Physical Effort:
Ability to perform manual tasks daily. Be mobile and able to
perform physical requirements of the job. Good physical health
verified by a health screening, including a chest x-ray or an
intradermal test not more than 6 months prior or seven (7) days
after employment. Personal Characteristics: Displays sincere
compassion towards older adults. Demonstrates genuine concern for
the physical and emotional needs of older people and their
families. Working Conditions: Inside: air-conditioned, well lighted
health care environment Outside: Local weather climate
- Preferably-- one year --experience in building industry,
maintenance and/or housekeeping handling the upkeep, repair and
maintenance of electrical, plumbing and structural matters.
- Possess knowledge of building construction types.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to analyze and assist with building maintenance
- Ability to explain work duties to team members.
- Ability to effectively interact with residents, families, team
- Valid drivers license
- Displays sincere compassion towards older adults. Demonstrates
genuine concern for the physical and emotional needs of older
people and their families.
- Required to participate in Covid-19 testing as requested by
administration, ownership or the State Regulatory Agencies.
- Required to receive or provide documentation of the Covid-19
Vaccine, excluding religious or medical exemptions.
- Required to receive the annual Flu vaccine, excluding religious
or medical exemptions. Options Apply for this job online Apply
Share Email this job to a friend Refer Sorry the Share function is
not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and
try again later. Share on your newsfeed Loading... Application FAQs
Software Powered by iCIMS
Keywords: Solera Senior Living, Evanston , Director of Building Operations, Executive , Evanston, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!