Company: YWCA Evanston North Shore
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Description: This position is located in Evanston, Illinois. The
Aquatics Manager is part of the YWCA Flying Fish Aquatics Program
leadership team and manages all program and operational tasks of
the Flying Fish Learn-to-Swim program, supervises, and trains swim
instructors, assists in elevating our presence in the community,
and supports CPR and First Aid training needs for the program and
organization. The position is responsible for implementation of
program strategies and coordination of daily activities and
contributes recommendations to agency policies, and department
priorities, and procedures.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Coordination (60%)
- Works with Aquatics Director to set growth-oriented
Learn-to-Swim annual work plan that maximizes revenue and ensures
the successful, tactical implementation of key goals and
coordinates monthly reporting on key data points.
- Ensures the consistent implementation of high quality,
individualized swim instruction and maintains accurate participant
records noting attendance and advancement. This will include all
outreach or summer rental groups.
- Develops mastery of the online registration platform for all
swim school programming, including managing the vendor
relationship, assisting the Director in planning each seasonal
catalog, setting up catalogs in the system, adding all group and
private lessons, managing the registration process, and running
reports to track unpaid account balances and contacting families
for payment timely payment collection.
- Ensures the timely submission of participant reports to the
Development team for inclusion of swim family information in the
organization's donor database.
- Works with Aquatics Director and Head Senior Coach to develop
swim scholarship guidelines and manage the scholarship program for
Learn-to-Swim students, including but not limited to collecting
required paperwork, ensuring eligibility, maintaining timely
communication with families, tracking scholarship allotment to
ensure annual caps are met, submits monthly reports as needed and
prepares an annual report detailing the success of the scholarship
- Develops and implements customer engagement strategies ensuring
staff maximizes opportunities to build positive, warm relationships
with families that result in student retention and deepening family
loyalty to the program.
- Ensures clear and consistent information is provided to
families on our website, in written materials, and in conversation
that explains the program philosophy, group levels, advancement
decision making, and other critical information that helps
customers distinguish the Learn-to-Swim program from
- Develops and implements strategies that provide recognition,
rewards, and incentives and increase swimmer retention leading to
increased Flying Fish Swim Team enrollment.
- Assists Aquatics Director and Head Age Group Coach in
evaluating Learn-to-Swim candidates for invitation onto the Flying
Fish Swim Team.
- Assists in developing and ensuring the implementation of an
innovative and aggressive marketing and advertising plan.
- Assists in developing and ensuring the implementation of a
comprehensive program evaluation plan and producing regular reports
documenting the achievement of key benchmarks.
- Oversee all elements of the Swim Camp including planning,
marketing, registration, hiring and training of camp staff,
evaluating quality and impact of programming, and ensuring a safe
and fun experience for campers. Supervision (20%)
- Develops, motivates, and maintains a highly functioning team
that demonstrates positive morale and adheres to high standards of
- Hires a diverse staff in accordance with agency policies and
procedures and submits timely, accurate, and completed hiring
- Develops a formalized swim instructor training program in
collaboration with the program director and human resources,
leveraging online learning technology through the HRIS.
- Oversees the workflow and productivity of staff including, but
not limited to, maintaining accurate work schedules, reviewing and
approving timesheets and activity reports in a timely manner,
setting and regularly reviewing professional goals, expectations,
- Stays current with agency technology and its proper usage,
including, but not limited to, taking the initiative to seek out
personal training opportunities, training direct reports on proper
usage, and ensuring staff maximize their efficiency with the use of
- Acts as primary liaison between leadership and direct reports
and ensures timely, thorough, and effective organizational
communication so staff feel informed and aware of organizational
policies, practices, and procedures, and growth. Effectively
advocates for staff by regularly soliciting staff input and
representing staff needs and interests to agency leadership.
- Ensures all staff understand and adhere to all policies in the
Employee Handbook. Community Outreach (5%)
- Assists and participates in community partnerships and
represents the YWCA at coalitions and community meetings.
- Regularly schedules tabling and educational presentations to
raise program and organizational profile
- Regular outreach to key community groups (i.e., early childhood
centers, churches, parent groups, etc.) to increase group rentals
of pool facilities.
- Ensures contracts are completed in a timely manner and manages
any required swim lessons with community groups, rentals, and
outreach. CPR, First Aid and Life Saving (5%)
- Attends Red Cross, CPR and First Aid instructor training and
ensures timely acquisition of certifications required to lead
aquatics training and provide certifications of completion to
- Provides biannual lifesaving training to new swim instructors,
swim team youth, and the public.
- In coordination with Human Resources, provides biannual CPR and
First Aid training to YWCA staff. ADDITIONAL DUTIES (10%)
- Monitors deck and locker rooms daily for safety and submits
work orders in a timely manner and assists with pool maintenance as
- Provide back-up staffing when needed, including swim
instruction and lifeguarding.
- Represents the organization at relevant community events as
- Understands and follows all appropriate Illinois and National
safety procedures and policies.
- Attends management and other agency meetings and contributes to
the overall strategic growth of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Pursues professional development.
- Understands and adheres to all YWCA Evanston/North Shore
procedures and policies as well as the Employee Handbook. An
individual in this position must be able to successfully perform
the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable
accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions of this position. The above list
reflects the general details necessary to describe the principle
and essential functions of the position and shall not be construed
as the only duties that may be assigned for the
position.Requirements: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSEducation: High school
diploma or equivalentExperience and/or Training: 4 years in
aquatics-related programming either as a teacher and/or coaching
- Valid Driver's License and auto insurance
- CPR and First Aid certification
- All required training and certifications required to have and
maintain a USA Swimming Coach membership.
- Red Cross Instructor Certification within 3 months of starting
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Advanced proficiency in using all available swim equipment
- Personal automobile for work related businessPREFERRED
QUALIFICATIONSEducation: College bachelor's degree or relevant
coursework in physical education, exercise physiology, kinesiology
or sports and exercise science.Experience and/or Training:
- 6 years of experience in Aquatics, teaching all instructional
levels and coaching swim team
- Experience managing swim program implementation
- Experience hiring, training, and supervising staff
- Experience in community outreach and representing an
- Experience in developing aquatics program marketing
- Experience in delivering first aid and safety instruction to
diverse audiencesLanguages: Intermediate proficiency in
SpanishLicenses/Certificates: Red Cross Instructor
CertificationTechnology/Equipment: Intermediate proficiency in
managing online registration platformsPHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
Intermittent (less than 15%), Occasional (15-45%), Frequent
(50-75%), and Continuous (over 75%).
- Frequent nights and/or weekends are required for
- Intermittent local and statewide travel is required.
- Tolerance of prolonged continuous stationary periods at a
desk/computer or standing poolside
- Must be able to navigate the facility, moving about the
natatorium in limited space.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, climb stairs or ladders,
reach with hands and arms, and reach above shoulders.
- Occasionally required to push, pull, lift and/or move up to 50
pounds, 150 pounds in the water . click apply for full job
Keywords: YWCA Evanston North Shore, Evanston , Aquatics Manager, Executive , Evanston, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...