Customer Service Associate
Company: YWCA Evanston/North Shore
Posted on: March 19, 2023
Description: The position is located in Evanston, Illinois. The
Customer Service Associate is the first point of contact for the
public and conducts front-desk operations in a welcoming,
inclusive, respectful, and efficient manner. The Associate greets
all callers, visitors, program participants, and staff; answers
questions accurately; maintains a safe and clean lobby; conducts
point-of-sale transactions and assists participants with program
registrations; opens and processes mail and deliveries; and directs
all inquiries appropriately. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND
RESPONSIBILITIES Front Desk Operations (50%)
- Greets each visitor with a smile and checks them in according
to protocol; assists visitors with disabilities or limited mobility
with accessing the lobby and pool area.
- Answers, responds to, and appropriately directs all phone calls
and retrieves and relays voicemail messages in a timely manner, at
least one time per day, via email or telecom service.
- Ensures daily schedule of on-site workshops, trainings, or
meetings is posted for members of the public to easily find.
- Ensures the front desk is maintained as a service-oriented,
professional space by keeping supplies stocked, surfaces tidy, and
maintaining confidentiality in relation to information regarding
the YWCA staff, participants, contractors, and visitors.
- Ensures clean, safe, well-stocked spaces by conducting
regularly scheduled walk throughs of the lobby, copy room, and
locker rooms, reporting maintenance requests as needed.
- Performs all required opening and closing procedures and is
knowledgeable of building security and emergency protocol to
maintain the security and welfare of clients, customers, and
- Report on equipment, facility, and software issues to the
- Date stamps and distribute incoming mail according to protocol.
Inspects all incoming mail for checks. Processes all check receipts
received in the mail according to instructions. Records receipt of
packages and notifies staff regarding package delivery. Distributes
mail and faxes to staff mailboxes as received.
- Assist Operations Manager with contacting and guiding
- Unlock and lock facility based on operating hours.
Registrations, Donations, and Point of Sale (POS) (45%)
- Assist customers in registering for agency programs, including
but not limited to answering questions, looking up and/or helping
participants create accounts, and collecting and processing
registration fees through the POS system if needed.
- Maintain an orderly inventory of aquatics merchandise and
process the sale of merchandise through the POS.
- Receive and process donations through the POS system, report
any donation over $100 to the Development team according to
protocol, and enter donor information into the participant database
- Balances cash drawer at the end of every shift and prepares
daily reports for accounting.
- Directs all monetary or in-kind donation calls to the
appropriate staff person, receives and transports approved in-kind
donations according to protocol; notifies relevant personnel for
on-site approvals as needed; and courteously turns away items not
preapproved. ADDITIONAL DUTIES (5%)
- Accepting call-back shifts when available.
- If Spanish bilingual, assist with limited translations as
requested to ensure timely and accurate sharing of
- Attends staff trainings and participates in agency
- Pursues professional development.
- Understands and adheres to all YWCA Evanston/North Shore
procedures and policies as well as YWCA Employee Handbook.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management. An individual
in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential
duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions of this position. The above list reflects the
general details necessary to describe the principle and essential
functions of the position and shall not be construed as the only
duties that may be assigned for the position. Requirements: MINIMUM
QUALIFICATIONS Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience and/or Training: One year of reception, customer
service, or retail sales experience. Language: N/A
Licenses/Certificates: First Aid/CPR within 6 months of employment
Technology/Equipment: Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office
Suite PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Education: N/A Experience and/or
- At least two years of reception, customer service, or retail
sales experience with emphasis on greeting customers, answering
questions, providing accurate information, and implementing
reception desk tasks.
- Experience with point-of-sale processing and closeouts.
- Experience opening and closing a facility.
- Experience processing incoming mail and packages. Language:
Intermediate conversational and reading proficiency in Spanish
Licenses/Certificates: N/A Technology/Equipment:
- Intermediate proficiency using point-of-sale systems.
- Beginner experience with databases. PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
Intermittent (less than 15%), Occasional (15-45%), Frequent
(50-75%), and Continuous (over 75%).
- Frequent nights and/or weekends required for events or
- Occasional local travel required.
- Tolerance of prolonged and continuous stationary periods at a
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, climb stairs, reach with
hands and arms, and reach above shoulders.
- Occasionally required to push, pull, lift and/or move up to 10
- Must be able to move about the facility.
- Must be able to operate controls for computers and other
equipment. The mental and physical requirements described here
represent those that must be met by an individual to successfully
perform the essential functions of this position. WORKING
- Employee required to work in a public, common lobby space with
consistent and substantial background noise, phone calls, and
- Employee required to work near chlorinated pools, therefore,
may be exposed to humidity and occasional smells of chlorine.
- Employees are expected to keep workspaces free of cell phones,
headphones, and all other personal accessories during working
- Employee may be required to share office space.
- Employee may be required to work from home.
- Employee will frequently have meetings or work in other
buildings. The work environment characteristics described here
represent those an individual encounters while performing the
essential functions of this position. *Note: YWCA is committed to
pay range transparency. Candidates are offered compensation based
on how their qualifications meet those of the position. PM22
Keywords: YWCA Evanston/North Shore, Evanston , Customer Service Associate, Hospitality & Tourism , Evanston, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...