User Support Specialist Senior
Company: Northwestern University
Posted on: April 2, 2021
Job Summary: User Support Specialist coordinates IT support for
multiple departments in the McCormick School of Engineering &
Applied Science. Plans, schedules and coordinates activities
designed to support an organizational area's applications and
services through research and fact-finding combined with an
understanding of applicable business and IT technology
requirements. Identifies potential modifications to applications to
solve complex problems considering IT technology, capacity,
limitations, operating time, and form of desired results.
Troubleshoots systems; analyzes code; and makes corrections as
needed. Please note: Ability to support user requests across five
buildings on north campus, both in-person and virtually. Ability to
lift up to 20 pounds at times. Specific Responsibilities :
- Reviews user's application needs and develops associated
support strategies and plans to meet business goals and
- Researches and evaluate products to determine if they meet
current or future user application needs.
- Develop requirements for vendor products to ensure they meet
user needs and that they are compatible with the software and
hardware environment in NUIT. Contribute to general technical team
discussions and projects. Administration
- Reviews user requests, identifies objectives and develops
proposals including cost and schedule estimates to meet needs.
- Contributes on budgetary discussions related service expenses
and recommendation for annual planning/budget purposes.
- Provides work direction to junior staff and monitors ensuring
compliance with associated NU standards and industry best
- Develops and delivers technical presentations, educational and
training materials. Development
- Completes service/application upgrades without direct oversight
- Leads efforts and resources associated with complex platform /
service upgrades including task identification, scheduling,
communication and back-out planning. Performance
- Provides an advanced level of troubleshooting support in
response to complex problems, questions and inquiries.
- Provides work direction and/or supervises staff such as team
members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met
and meet expectations.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Minimum Qualifications:
- Successful completion of a full 2-year course of study in an
accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher
degree; OR appropriate combination of education and
- 3 years' experience in consulting, project management,
training, technical support, or user service, in an information
technology environment or other relevant experience required.
- Work history demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility
- Experience as both an end-user and administrator in service
areas such as user support, desktop support, help desk management,
and documentation or other relevant experience required.
- Please see required skills below: Enterprise Applications
CrowdStrike, Kace, JAMF, Qualys, Bomgar, Zoom, Request Tracker,
SailPoint Infrastructure Identity management/provisioning
Information security Mac OS X Operating System Microsoft Office
(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook) Microsoft SharePoint
Windows Operating System Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Analytical Critical thinking Decision making Judgment Problem
solving Troubleshooting Project Budgeting Collaboration and
teamwork Functional documentation Organizational skills Planning
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Experience in customer service / customer support
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills,
organizational skills, management of own time, and respect for the
time of others.
- Excellent planning and scheduling skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively control and participate in
multiple projects of varying priorities in a consistently
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful and effective
relationships with management, co-workers and customers.
- Strong knowledge of deploying and troubleshooting Windows and
Mac desktop and laptop operating system environments.
- Experience providing purchasing recommendations based on client
requirements. Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in an academic environment. Preferred Competencies:
(Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Planning and implementation of deployment projects, including
the ability to set up, maintain, or repair computer equipment and
related devices, such as printers and data cabling.
- Administering Active Directory resources, especially shares and
permissions. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity,
Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including
veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and
ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are
encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work
in the United States.
Keywords: Northwestern University, Evanston , User Support Specialist Senior, Other , Evanston, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!