Residential & Crisis Support Specialist (Back-up)
Company: YWCA Evanston North Shore
Posted on: January 19, 2023
The Residential and Crisis Support Specialist, as a member of a
larger domestic violence team, is the primary on-site position that
helps maintain a safe and supportive residential environment and
offers critical support to callers of the 24-hour crisis line. The
position proactively builds supportive relationships with
residents, role models appropriate behaviors and boundaries,
implements residential policies and procedures, and collaborates
with team members and management to identify and proactively
communicate areas for improvement. Crisis line tasks include
assessing caller needs, conducting safety planning, screening for
shelter eligibility, providing emotional support as needed, and
referring callers to critical resources.This position provides
coverage for designated shifts including days, evenings, weekends,
holidays and overnights to help ensure coverage 24/7. Additionally,
the position ensures emergency call-back coverage by picking up a
minimum of 6 comparable shifts per year. This position is integral
to creating a warm, welcoming, and trauma-informed space for
all.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIESResidential Support
- According to protocol, compassionately welcomes new shelter
residents and sensitively guides them through the resident-directed
- Warmly and proactively engages residents in a manner that
reinforces our trauma-informed principles and builds a supportive
- Takes every opportunity to provide supportive comments that
recognize the successes and strengths of residents.
- Provides information and resource referrals to residents as
- Champions the principles and practices of trauma-informed care
in all interactions with residents.
- Responds to resident questions and reinforces critical safety
guidelines, and resident rights and responsibilities as
- Distributes needed supplies to residents.
- Assists residents in navigating in-house conflicts, refers
residents to client advocates as needed, and role models healthy
boundaries, self-awareness, and self-care.
- Overnight and on weekends, independently assesses security
needs and calls police when serious safety issues arise.
- Overnight and on weekends, exercises discretion to assess
serious safety violations that necessitate the need for emergency
discharge and conducts the discharge process in accordance with
- Full-time and part-time employees in this position must accept
a minimum of 6 unscheduled, comparable call-back shifts per year as
a condition of employment provided those shifts are available.
Back-up positions are required to accept a minimum of 2 shifts a
month as a condition of employment, provided there are sufficient
shifts offered.Crisis Line (35%)
- Responds to and appropriately documents all calls on the
24-hour crisis line providing callers with crisis intervention,
safety planning, emotional support, information about legal rights
and options, information about domestic violence, and
- Screens for shelter eligibility and makes arrival arrangements
with eligible callers.
- Schedules clients seeking walk-in counseling and completes any
- Updates shelter status board to ensure accurate occupancy
information for team members.
- Maintains accurate notations and reviews them to stay updated
on shelter issues.Record Keeping and Quality Management (10%)
- Keeps accurate service documentation including narratives,
phone and supplementary intakes, contact book, accident report
- Timely and proactive submission of issues or concerns related
to operations, facility, or client needs according to protocol
- Reviews shelter, departmental, and organizational communication
- Maintains timely and accurate timesheets and other forms or
documents as directed.
- Attends a monthly team meeting to share concerns, build
community, acquire information, and discuss case issuesFacility
- Assists in maintaining a clean, safe, and orderly environment
by conducting walk-throughs as scheduled, promptly reporting
security or maintenance issues, and carrying out cleaning duties if
- Reports to Residential Services Coordinator when food and other
supplies are running low and in need of restocking.
- Assists in supporting shelter food program by ensuring kitchen
remains in compliance with health and food sanitation regulations
by conducting walk-throughs, assisting in cleaning tasks if needed,
reporting issues to the Residential Services Coordinator, and
conducts meal preparation on a limited basis.
- Conducts relocation room checks per agency protocol and reports
issues to the Residential Services Coordinator.
- Ensures compliance with emergency evacuation protocol as
- Maintains a secure facility by adhering to related
- Supports volunteers providing assistance or services to shelter
residents.ADDITIONAL DUTIES (5%)
- Provides and attends regularly scheduled departmental and
organizational staff meetings and trainings and participates in
organization committees as requested.
- Attends professional development as requested.
- Understands and adheres to all of the YWCA Evanston/North Shore
procedures and policies as well as the YWCA Employee Handbook.
- Perform other duties as assigned by managementAn individual in
this position must be able to successfully perform the essential
duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions of this position.The above list reflects the
general details necessary to describe the principle and essential
functions of the position and shall not be construed as the only
duties that may be assigned for the position. PM22
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSEducation: High School diploma or
equivalentExperience and/or Training: Previous experience working
with children, youth, adults, and families who are in crisis
situations and/or have experienced domestic
- Successful completion of the Illinois 40-Hour Domestic Violence
Training Certificate within 60 days of employment
- First Aid/CPR within 6 months of employment
- Successful completion of the online Serv Safe Manager
Certification within 30 days of hire
- YWCA requires that all employees be fully vaccinated for
COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination to Human Resources unless
a request for a medical or religious accommodation is
- Intermediate proficiency in the Microsoft Office SuitePREFERRED
QUALIFICATIONSEducation: Bachelor's Degree in social work,
counseling, psychology or related field.Experience and/or Training:
Three years of professional experience working with children,
youth, adults, and/or families on issues related to
domestic/intimate partner/family violence and offering support to
individuals who have experienced trauma.Licenses/Certificates:
- Illinois 40-Hour Domestic Violence Training
- Bilingual in Spanish or other languages.Technology/Equipment:
- Beginner proficiency with online case management
systemsPHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDSIntermittent (less than 15%),
Occasional (15-45%), Frequent (50-75%), and Continuous (over 75%).
- Weekends required
- Tolerance of prolonged and continuous stationary periods at a
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, climb stairs, reach with
hands and arms, and reach above shoulders
- Occasionally required to push, pull, lift and/or move up to 15
- Must be able to move about the facility
- Must be able to operate controls for computers and other
equipmentThe mental and physical requirements described here are
representative of those that must be met by an individual to
successfully perform the essential functions of this
- Employee may be required to share office space or work in a
cubicle in an open floor plan office.
- Employee may be required to work from both home and office
- On evening, overnight and weekend shifts, employee is paid for
meal breaks and may not take a break away from the office.The work
environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an individual encounters while performing the essential
functions of this positionPI201386483
Keywords: YWCA Evanston North Shore, Evanston , Residential & Crisis Support Specialist (Back-up), Other , Evanston, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!