Patient Access Specialist, Full Time Days
Company: Northwestern Memorial Healthcare
Posted on: May 16, 2023
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a
difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first
approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare
industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the
opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter
where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At
Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive
benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k)
matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees.
Ready to join our quest for better?
The Patient Access Specialist reflects the mission, vision, and
values of NMHC, adheres to the organizations Code of Ethics and
Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant
policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and
- Consistently practices Patients First philosophy and adheres to
high standards of customer service. This includes setting an
example to peers, coworkers, etc. by fostering a team
- Responds to questions and concerns.
- Forwards, directs, and notifies Team Lead or Operations
Coordinator of extraordinary issues as necessary.
- Maintains patient confidentiality per HIPAA regulations.
- Provides exceptional customer service to patients which
establish a positive first impression of Northwestern
- Exceeds all consumer requests and alerts management of issues
or concerns that require escalation.
- Correctly identifies and collects patient demographic
information in accordance with organization standards.
- Interacts with various hospital departments and physicians
offices to effectively schedule and direct patients through the
NMHC systems in a patient/customer friendly manner.
- Reaches out to patients to schedule an appointment as
- Performs medical necessity checks as necessary for scheduled
services, communicates options to patient if appointment
- Informs patients of any issues with securing the financial
account for their encounter.
- Completes out-of-pocket estimations as requested by
- Provides training and education as needed.
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and
assignments on time.
- Completes other duties assigned by manager.
- Cross-training between various departments will take place to
- Participates in Quality Assurance reviews to ensure integrity
of patient data information.
- Uses effective service recovery skills to solve problems or
service breakdowns when they occur.
- Utilizes department and hospital policies and procedures to
complete assigned tasks.
- Adheres to all department policies and compliance
- Avoids putting patient in financial or safety risk.
- Other duties as assigned.
Communication and Collaboration:
- Communicates information to the patient regarding questions
about physician referrals, insurance referrals and
- Collects authorization numbers in appropriate systems as
- Provides professional and constructive environment for
communication across units/departments and resolves operational
- May attend intra/interdepartmental meetings which involve
walking within NM Campus.
- Communicates customer satisfaction issues to appropriate
- Demonstrates teamwork by helping co-workers within and across
- Communicates effectively with others, respects diverse opinions
and styles, and acknowledges the assistance and contributions of
- Interacts with internal customers to provide excellent support
service to staff in departments which provide direct patient
- Accommodates all levels of communication ability.
- Utilizes multiple online order retrieval systems to verify or
print the patients order.
- Verifies insurance eligibility and benefit levels through the
use of online tools (NDAS, ASF, etc.) or over the phone as
- Completes accurate handoff instructions and notes to scheduling
staff, by noting appropriately in Epic.
- Demonstrates ability to use all computer applications
efficiently and to the capacity needed in this position.
- Runs real time eligibility (RTE) on all patients to verify
insurance and follows out of network policies as applicable.
- Sends quality Epic Messages/Telephone encounters that are
descriptive and grammatically correct.
Efficiency, Process Improvement, and Business Growth:
- Proactive in preventing issues with patient visit by double
checking type of test, preps required, assuring no conflict with
other tests, verifying time and location, communicating relevant
information, verifying documenting order retrieval in notes for
check-in person, ensures there are no duplicate patient
- Understands minimum data set required for a complete
registration, collects and verifies critical data and updates that
information into registration system.
- Understands departmental and individual quality metrics.
- Proactively analyzes account activity, identifies problems, and
initiates appropriate actions/resolutions.
- Evaluates procedures and suggests improvements to enhance
customer service and operational efficiency.
- Participates in departmental quality improvement
- Provides ideas and suggestions for process improvements within
- Monitors registration and scheduling, including insurance
verification to ensure processing within prescribed quality
- Adjusts processes as needed to meet standards.
- Uses organizational and unit/department resources
- Acts as a training resource for new staff and a resource for
coworkers, sharing process and workflow information.
- Understands that schedule may change to reflect shifting
- Evolves and learns as healthcare policies change.
EOE including Disabled and Veterans.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- 2-3 years customer service or medical office experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
- Proficiency in computer data-entry/typing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in
- Basic Computer Skills.
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Customer service oriented.
- Excellent organizational, time management, analytical, and
problem solving skills.
- Additional education.
- Additional language skills.
- Healthcare finance and/or healthcare insurance experience.
- Knowledge and experience in a healthcare setting, especially
patient scheduling and/or registration.
Monday- Friday 630-3pm
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the
basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender
identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any
other protected status.
Keywords: Northwestern Memorial Healthcare, Evanston , Patient Access Specialist, Full Time Days, Other , Evanston, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...